Wednesday, February 16, 2011

WRITE WHAT YOU KNOW

An important part of family history is to write about those family members who have been a part of your life.  This way you make your history personal and not just stats.  It also helps to keep their memory alive.

What got me to thinking about this is that today would have been my first born nieces birthday.  She was only 29 years old at the time she died.  She had suffered with many trials in her life including spine cancer.  When she was a child she spent much of her time living with us, sometimes weeks and months at a time.

While she was ill, I had asked her to write about her life which she did.
In this sweet letter she had told me "I wish you or Gran had been my mother."  How heart breaking for a child to have such a wish.  But the good thing was that she knew who to go to when she needed help and comfort.

Kathleen Athena had such a kind heart.  She was just a little princess, she would  hold up one corner of her dress as she would walk up the stairs.  As a toddler, my  mother told her, "Kathy, you are the grandest of all!"  She then gave  my mother Athena, the nick name of "Granner" which stuck and my mother was never known as Yia Yia or Grandma or any of those names of endearment.  Instead all of the grandchildren and great grandchildren referred to her as "Granner."  How precious memories are as we reflect upon them.

No comments:

Post a Comment