Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A LABOR OF LOVE

During the 1990's there were a lot of changes for our family.  My sister got married, my father and mother both passed away.  I received a kidney transplant;

When my mother passed away six weeks right before Christmas, I decided to write a short biography of my mothers life for my sisters for Christmas as a gift.

This short project turned into a full-blown history which took about ten years to write.  It extended to her siblings, parents, some cousins, etc.  I gathered newspaper articles, birth and death certificates as well as baptismal and marriage records.

Also were included pictures with descriptions of who the people were in the pictures and where the pictures were taken.  Using a genealogy program, I also added notes about their lives that could be formated into a book.

I took it to the copy shop where I saw Brad.  Brad runs the copy shop, is a chef and his wife has family from Greece.  This always seems to come up in our conversations.  He loves all things Greek. He offered to copy the book for me and you would have thought it was his family!  It was good for me to see a non-family member so excited about such a project.  I just hope family members who see this after I am no longer around will enjoy the work.  But the greatest satisfaction comes from knowing that this will help preserve memories of the Spetsas (AKA Thymaras) family for a long time to come.

It was amazing to me to see how deep your love for these people deepens as you preserve their history.  A copy of this writing has been placed in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.  The title of the work is "From Greece to North America-a history of the Spetsas-Thymaras family."

No comments:

Post a Comment